Friday, February 24, 2012

We are adopting! But why?

The fact that we decided to adopt may be a shock to some.  Robby and I have always thrown around the idea of possibly adopting in the future (the way way off future) but we were never too serious about it.  We have recently become convicted about it and believe that God is calling us to adopt.

 I recently read a book called "Kisses from Katie".  In the book, Katie points out how throughout the whole Bible we are commanded to care for orphans and widows.  She talks about how, for a follower of Christ, caring for the less fortunate is not an option but a requirement.  As I read her book, I thought about how many times I read those scriptures in the Bible about caring for orphans and just breezed over them thinking they didn't apply to me.  But those words wouldn't be in there if they weren't important.

A part of the book that really grabbed my heart and convicted me was a piece that Katie shared from her journal:

"The truth is that the 143 million orphaned children and the 11 million who starve to death or die from preventable diseases and the 8.5 million who work as child slaves, prostitutes, or under other horrific conditions and the 2.3 million who live with HIV add up to 164.8 million needy children. And though at first glance that looks like a big number, 2.1 billion people on this earth proclaim to be Christians.
The truth is that if only 8 percent of the Christians would care for one more child, there would not be any statistics left.
This is the Truth. I have the freedom to believe it. The freedom, the opportunity to do something about it. The truth is that He loves these children just as much as He loves me and now that I know, I am responsible." 



If only 8% of people who proclaim that they are a Christian would care for one more child there would be no more statistics left.   Wow.


To Robby and I, adopting is more than just growing our family in numbers.  It's about caring for the orphans in this world.  We long to give hope, love and a family to children who don't have those things.  Most importantly, we long to share Jesus with them and give them a hope that this world can't provide.


That being said, we have chosen an agency and submitted our application last week and we have been accepted!  Now we are working on paperwork to submit and the next step will be an orientation interview and then a home study.


We are hoping to qualify to adopt two children.  That will be part of our home study process.  We will keep you updated!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for your sweet family, Becca! I'll be praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Becca! Adoption is near and dear to my heart. God has given me such a burden for all the children here in the US and around the world who need a home and family! So many will never know the love of a mommy and daddy to tuck them in at night and play in the snow with! Thank you for hearing God's call and ACTING! He will provide all you need! It's so easy to just put the plight of the children out of our minds and live in "our own little world." It takes an unselfish faith to step out and act. Our lives have been blessed SOOOOOOOOOO much from our decision to heed that call when it seemed impossible. Jesus loves the little children...ALL the children of the world! Yay!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete